Thursday 7 October 2010

This year in the garden

As I've started this blog one year into my gardening adventure, after most of the growing this year is over and before much planting starts for next year, I thought I'd share some pictures of my garden in my first year of trying to grow veg and flowers.


This doesn't show the latest harvest, but does show my first (small) carrot, leeks and runner beans. The first salad I tried to grow bolted in the heat, but in my second attempt I planted lettuces and these have been far more successful - I have been eating it in salads and sandwiches for a few weeks. The peas I ate straight off the plants - I will need to grow far more next year if any are likely to reach the house for a meal!

My book about Square Foot Gardening arrived and I was avidly reading it on the train home last night, and dreaming up veg plans non-stop! However, being sensible, my first plans are to build a few 2x2 SFGs next year, and see how I get on. Putting a base on them will mean we can take them with us if we move house mid-season.

First things first, I need to find out how I can get the different bits and pieces I need relatively cheaply.. Research, research - my other half would be proud of me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment