Sunday 24 October 2010

Focusing on flowers

This week I've trying my hand at propagation - planting the seeds that arrived for Eucalyptus Lemon, Polyanthus and Chaenorhinum. Some are happily sitting in a heated propagator in the kitchen, but some of them had to go in the fridge for a few weeks. I think that this is called cold stratification - tricking the seeds into thinking winter has been and gone so that when I put them on the windowsill they will start to grow.

I've taken some cuttings from plants I bought when we remodelled the front garden - I've started with the Dianthus and Convolvulus Cneorum (also called Silver Bush). I found out from Gardener's World this week that you shouldn't cover up cuttings or they get too damp and rot, so let's see how they do on the window sill. 
While I was at the Garden Centre buying a pot to plant the tulip bulbs I got sent for free with my seeds I saw some amazingly coloured heather plants, that I just had to buy, to kick-start my plans for clusters of pots in the back garden. Having planted them though, and washing out the pots - I'm wondering if they plants have been spray-painted? Next year will they grow back white?

Compost heap week-on-week progress.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment